Upper Dens Mill

1 Weavers Yard, Dundee DD4 6BS, UK, United Kingdom

Former Use: Textile mill (Linen works)
New Use: Housing
Category: Residential
Original Architect: Umpherston and Kerr (engineers)
Reuse Architect: Baxter Clark & Paul architects
Construction year(s): 1833 - 1850
Reuse year(s): 1983 -


Founded in 1822 by Baxter Bros, world’s largest linen sailcloth and canvas manufacturers. Closed in 1978, Upper Dens Works was developed by Hillcrest Housing Association in 1983-5. A spired fireproof spinning mill, engineered by Umpherston and Kerr in 1833, and doubled by Randolph and Elder (Glasgow) in 1850, has a double engine house fronted by tripartite windows. The weaving shed, 1836, was on the terrace above a stone gothic arch. North of Victoria St, on a triple-arched bridge over Dens Burn, the works foundry of 1864 was extended as Eagle Jute Mills in 1930. ( M Watson, 2013)

Relevant Literature:

  1. https://canmore.org.uk/site/68106/dundee-princes-street-upper-dens-mills
  2. Watson. M, 2000, "From spinning flat to apartment flat: conversions to housing of urban Scottish textile mills" In Cossons N. (ed) Perspectives on industrial Archaeology, London: Cromwell Press, p.151-152
  3. Stratton, M. 2003. Industrial Buildings: Conservation and Regeneration, London, Taylor & Francis, p. 215

Added on 2018-08-28 by editor Dora Chatzi Rodopoulou